Have you been shying away from photos? Are you worried that people may be critical of your dental flaws? Do you have misaligned, crooked, gapped or stained teeth and desire a change? Your local dentist says that a fantastic smile is attainable with porcelain veneers in Northgate. As you continue reading, you’ll learn more about the process of enhancing your teeth with this highly effective form of cosmetic dentistry.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are thin shells that are custom-made from ceramic material. One of their most attractive features is that they offer a fast and convenient way to alter your smile. Fitting right over your ivories, they mask any imperfections and leave you with beautiful teeth.
How Does the Process Work?
The porcelain veneers process usually requires two visits to complete. Here’s what happens:
- Before any work is done, you will sit down with your dentist to discuss the type look you desire. At this time, you and your cosmetic dentist in Northgate will decide on the best veneers to match the color of your teeth and the shape of your mouth.
- The procedure begins with the dentist removing a thin sheath of enamel from your teeth. This will allow for your permanent veneers to fit properly.
- The next step is to take bite impressions that will be sent to a trusted lab to fabricate your permanent fixtures. You’ll then be fitted with temporary veneers until your permanent set arrives.
- When they’re ready, your dentist will have you come in to be fitted, and you’ll leave with a brand-new smile!
The Secret to Caring for Veneers
The big secret about how to care for veneers is that you should treat them just like your natural teeth. That means that you should avoid doing things like eating ice, using your teeth to open bottles or to bite nails. These activities could also lead to a dental emergency.
Here are the things you should do:
- Practice Oral Hygiene – Brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day to rid your mouth of any harmful bacteria that could cause damage to your underlying teeth or gums. Otherwise, your veneers could be compromised.
- Visit Your Dentist – The increased life of your veneers also depends on you maintaining regular visits to your cosmetic dentist for cleanings and checkups. Not only will they enhance your health but will also allow your local professional to check the status of your veneers.
- Wear a Mouthguard – Do you participate in any sports where a collision could occur? If so, then it’s best to wear a mouthguard to try to ease the blow of a sudden impact.
Now that you’re more informed, the next step is to reach out to your local professional and schedule your first appointment. The smile of your dreams is just around the corner!
About the Author
Dr. J. Sam Sage earned his DDS degree from the University of Washington School of Dentistry. In addition, he has a vast background of advanced training in several modalities. Dr. Sage sends his patients on their way smiling with confidence at Sage Family Dentistry and can be reached for more information through his website.